What is it?
The Moving On Programme is a back to education programme for mothers. The programme runs for 40 weeks from September to June with participants achieving a QQI level 4 Major Award in Employment Skills upon completion. This qualification is the equivalent of an Ordinary Leaving Certificate qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications. The course offers the following modules:
Why do it?
The aims of the programme include:
- Enhancing the personal and social development of the participant
- The extension of the participants education and learning to enhance their life prospects
- Supporting the participants’ parenting role and providing family support
- Engaging in advocacy and work to promote social change
- Raising aspirations
- Enabling mothers to develop career pathways and progress to further education, training and employment
Personal comments from past participants on the course
In 2006 I moved to Carlow with my one year old son. I applied for the Moving on Programme and was offered a place in 2009. I loved and enjoyed every day of the ten months I spent there. I learned so much, made some lifelong friends and my son had the best of childcare, where he still attends. The Moving On Programme helped me move on to third level education. I am currently in the middle of my Bachelor Degree in Social Care in Carlow College. I would strongly recommend this course. I can honestly say it was the best thing I have ever done.
“I don’t think it is like school or anything, I just think it is very good”
“I have more confidence in getting a job after this, than I’ve ever had in my whole life”
“Our opinions are valued here”
“ I have something to get out of bed for in the morning. I have friends I can talk to in my own situation”